I was asked this past week for tips and a good book on how can we be good fathers?
We are blessed to have so much information available on fatherhood and parenting, and we should be grateful.
My Three Main Pieces of Advice for Fathers
1) The best book for mining the richest qualities for fatherhood would be the Bible. Within this treasure of treasures are all the details for laying the best plan and clearest pathway to raise our sons and daughters. If we will wisely glean and apply these proven principles to our lives and the lives of our children, we will have provided the best keys for our children’s futures. Ours is to then trust and hope our children will use these perfected keys for their success.
2) The best example of fatherhood is, of course, our heavenly Father. His qualities and character are discovered as we spend time in item one. He is loving and good. He is wise and faithful. And he is perfect in all ways. Also, he has offered each of us a model to follow so we might be able to apply his character and qualities in our situations with our children. That model is Christ.
3) The best evidence of whether we are being good fathers lies more within the displays flowing from our own lives dads. Some of these are listed for us to assess who we really are and how we are doing.
A Few Qualities and Characteristics We Can Use to Examine, Measure, and Assess Our Fatherhood
• Are these things being displayed in our lives? Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.(Gal. 5:22, 23)
– (1 Cor 13:4-8)
• And for some deeper qualities to define genuine love, we are told they manifest in us as Patience, kindness, absence of envy, and boosting. humility, not being rude, not self-seeking, not easily angered, keeping no record of wrongs, but keeping up to date and accurate assessments, not delighting in evil but rejoicing with the truth, always protecting, always trusting, always hoping, always persevering.
WOW! Quite a list to live up to genuinely, but if we as fathers will trust Christ, ask the Holy Spirit to make us like Christ, we then have a secret weapon in our spiritual arsenals to rely on and focused on in the right direction.
God knows we are jars of clay
Imperfect, and in ourselves, we seldom make a very good showing, but remember, with God, “all things are possible!”
There is one culture that will prove correct, balanced, life-giving, and successful as God defines; the culture of the kingdom of God. Let us as fathers pursue God and his kingdom wholeheartedly and leave the results to him.
Not on the shore, but In the boat with you,